Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Fisherman's heart!

(Picture : KanyaKumari -Oct 08)
The call of the sea! O! Bountiful mother
Without you where would I be ?
Even before the sun does rise
Even before the first bird flies,
I reach out to you for my livelihood.
You are sometimes nice and sometimes rude!
Crashing into my little boat, you come,
This is all I have, help me to feed my little one!
She awaits my return with fear in her eyes!
“Come back safely” – softly , in her heart, she cries.
I have seen so many colours on you
Sparkling sunlight of the dawn and the evening blue!
In my little boat each dawn I go
Wave after wave , you have always helped me to flow.
My father, my uncles, all knew you so well
I was but a child, waiting on your shores, picking up shells!
Slowly as I grew, I joined them too
Eyes closed, praying hard but trying to be the brave new!
I could feel my father’s hand around me – holding me tight
“My dear one”, he said, “this is the fear you need to fight!”
So many years, so many tides
So many storms, sometimes no place to hide!
You are the one who has taught me how to live
From you I have learnt to earn happiness; when you give
O bountiful mother, let me be born again
To be ever giving and never to be vain!


No comments: